This year Colton asked for a Super Mario Party. It was a pretty fun theme to plan. A ton of stuff was made out of poster board, and after scouring the internet Amy and I adapted a bunch of things we found to pull this party together. I would like to thank Amy, Katie, Kimmie, Lisa, and Kent for all their help and patience with me and my obsessive tendencies. Seriously, I could not have pulled this off without their help. Kimmie and Lisa helped with the cake and Amy and Katie helped with a bunch of the decorations and hats. And Kimmie, set-up would not have been the same without you...
As the kids started arriving, this is what they did first....

After a few minutes of jumping with the ghosts, we called them in for the first party game.....
A good ole fashion matching game...Colton and I made the matching game together. He helped me pick out some of the characters and cut some of them out for me too....

The first leg of the race...climb through the tunnel and weave in n' out of the piranha plants...there were 5 plants total and I am so lucky they stood up. It was windy and my skills were lacking, thank goodness for packing tape...

When they made it through the plants, they had to climb under the trampoline, then get up and jump 10 times. The trampoline was surrounded by ghosts from the game. Amy drew on the faces and I taped on the arms...
When they got off the trampoline they jumped through 3 hula hoops...
And then they were on their way to knock over the goombas. It end up being a little harder than I thought.... until Payson's turn. He blasted them. In a couple of the pictures you can see that the wind finally blew down the front of the game and we had to put rocks in the cans the goombas were taped to so they wouldn't just blow off....
Now the course was coming to an end. They had to grab the flag and head down the slide...

At the end of the obstacle course they all got to pick out a ? bag. Inside was a toy, a mustache, and punching balloon....The mustache's....well you'll see...

After the Mario photo shoot we played a Yoshi Egg Game. I don't have any pictures, but basically there were easter eggs with white dots all over them spread out in the yard and the kids had to run around and find the one with the star inside. The winner got a special prize....speaking of the winner...here he is...

That wrapped it up for the games, so on to cake and presents...
He loved all of his presents. My mom tricked him by putting the money she gave him in a box of candy...
After all that we had a little time left to play some Mario on the Wii. I think the party was a great success. Thank you to all those involved that helped. I can't even imagine what next year brings....
Here are a few of the decorations and party favors...
Just for fun....proof that Aubrey was going to be a part of this party one way or another...










10 comments:
oh.my.gosh. You are amazing!!!! What a great party!! I'm so impressed!!! Looks like everyone had the best time! And every child in your neighborhood wants to be invited to your next child's party! so cool!!!
I am so glad Noah was already in bed when I read this post! He would have DIED seeing all those cool Mario things and then I'd totally be stuck throwing him a Mario party in May... and let's face it... I am SOOOO not that cool of a mom! You're so awesome!
Your pictures looked great. I can't decide if I'm more smitten by the hats and mustaches on the boys, or by the utter cuteness of the cake. I hope our Batman party is half as cool as yours. I'm afraid the pictures won't be that great though since it will be inside...Oh well...
Good job. Now it's onto the princess party.
Oh my! That is one awesome party! And I thought I was dying of exhaustion and overload planning our little party for Natalie...you must be DONE with parties by the time Spring is over at your house. March and April are always crazy for me because of birthday parties, but then I'm done and don't have to think about it again until next year. My daughter came in while I was looking at the pics of the cake and she was ooo-ing and awww-ing over it and said, "she didn't make that right? it came from the store?" (because all good things come from the store, right?). And I'm all..."no, she totally made that herself!" and she's all..."wow, she should teach you how to make cakes, Mom!" Yeah, so thanks...you now owe me an awesome cake decorating class! :)
The best part of the whole party experience is that someday your kids will realize how much you really did love them to go through all the steps involved in the whole thought process of not only what would make the party but the making of the stuff that made the party so cool! And what kid won't look back someday and say how awesome it was that his mom, aunts and cousins had a part in making such a cool birthday cake. Good job Rach, Amy, Leese, Kimmie, and Katy.:) Keep the tradition going:)
So Rachael, when are you going to publish your "Awesome Birthday Parties for Children" book? I want one. :)
Uh yeah. Thanks for the completely unrealistic bar you set for the rest of us! ;) it turned out uh-mazing!!!! The pictures really captured the event...except the cake was way cooler in person...and that's saying a LOT cuz the pics looked fantastic. Ready to start brainstorming for my kids yet, sigh. Loved the post rach!!!
I am not easy to impress with birthday parties, I've seen a LOT of great ones. BUT, that was AMAZING looking!!! I wish moms could see your pictures and know that you CAN make a cool party at home. Maybe you should do a book, I think that was a good idea!
We. Are. Awesome. I mean Really!?!?! We should become party planners. That party was saweeeet! The pictures turned out sooo cute. I still can't get over how cute the cake was. LOOOOVEEEEE IIIITTTTT!!!!
Seriously. You guys are ridiculous and I mean that in the best way. I think I was more excited than Payson for the party, just to see what all you did because I knew it would be amazing. And you didn't disappoint. I am not joking, you could SO start a business doing this. And Payson is STILL running around wearing his hat saying "Mario time" in his best Italian accent.
Post a Comment