Wednesday, July 9, 2008

And the Magic Numbers Are.....

96 times I put Aubrey back in her bed tonight.

77 minutes before she fell asleep sitting up in her bed.

So, today I decided my kids are getting older, Colton turned 4 in April, Aubrey turned 2 in April. They need to start going to bed on their own. Colton actually used to, until we moved. He has never really liked being upstairs or downstairs by himself. But I decided, I had watched enough "Super Nanny" and a change was a comin. I talked to Colton about it all day, I let him know, I would stay upstairs but he needed to lay in bed and fall asleep by himself.

Aubrey was the first one up. Nap time. An hour and fifteen minutes of me putting her back in her bed. She was so mad. She screamed, cried, threw her binki(yes, I know she is getting a little on the older side) and continued to get up. But finally she gave in, and my sanity was saved.

Colton did ok, he whined a little and refused to give me a kiss goodnight, but fell asleep quite quickly.

Then came Aubrey. Again. I was curious to see how many times she got out of bed so I started counting. Here is a little play by play.

23-yawned, giving me false hope.

32-I decided I didn't care if she wasn't in her bed, she could sleep on the floor, I would just wait for her to come out.

44-I started trying to listen to the sound of her feet hitting the floor and rush in

*side note: every time she would get out of bed she would walk to her closet put her binki in the toy bin and come to her door. At first I just waited for the sound of the bink*

63-I can't remember now, but I know I did something a little different.

80-she finally started to cry

90-this one is my favorite, this is when Kent came out, told me what I was doing wasn't working and I needed to try something different because HE couldn't sleep.

92-I became ridden with guilt because as soon as I picked her up she would stop crying. I started to question myself, but knew I had to continue after coming this far

96-I laid her in her bed, stood at her dresser with my back to her, about 2ft from the door. She quieted down, I could see her in the mirror from the corner of my eye. And that is when she fell asleep sitting up. So determined not to lay down.

So tomorrow is a new day, and I just wish I knew if this was the right thing to do.


Oh, and today was Kent's 30th birthday. Between taking Colton shopping for him, making a pie for him, and putting Aubrey to sleep twice, I had no time for a birthday post. Hopefully tomorrow. Maybe by then I won't be so annoyed about his less than supportive suggestion, and his list will be a positive one!

11 comments:

Amy said...

So first off, it's completely awkward to read a post in humungo lettering. I know its not your fault. It's happened to me before.
Um, I'm gonna be all sappy sisterly on you and tell you that I am SUPER proud of you and I PROMISE it will pay off if you just do it a time or two more. Remember, I've done something similar with my two kids already and though I thought I was going to lose it, I didn't. Came super close, but didn't actually go insane. I also know that you will feel super guilty, like your making her hate you or abandoning her, or whatever but really, you're not. She's just mad and she'll get over it, just like we do. DONT GIVE UP!
Oh yea, and call me when you wake up this morning, I'm afraid to call now and disrupt anyone!

Amy said...

Besides, you're already doing better than one episode I watched where it took 2.5-3 hours with a little girl and her mom.

Alicia Leppert said...

All I can say is DITTO to what Amy said. I am so impressed you didn't give up, that is how you make it work!! No matter how much it sucks you just have to stick to it and it will seriously only take 2 or 3 days and your kids will realize you really mean it and give up. And you will be a much happier person and they will be too. You rock!

P.S. Lettering looked fine to me.

Sarah said...

Oh Rachel... I so NEEDED this today. Lydia..... hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That started with just five h's but then I kept adding five at a time when I would pause but would realize I was still sighing. I think it must be 2. It has to be... Dang it!!!! AUGGGGGHHH!! I needed a sympathy blog today and this did it for me. Too bad you don't live closer. I think I might go to your house and just cry. It's always better to cry with someone who knows what you are going through.

And you are doing great by the way! We've been through similar things in the past with Lydia (and in the present). Past experience tells us it will work but..... auuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ms. Kristen said...

Stay strong! I have been there!

DLovesocks said...

Good job, Rach! It will get better. Stay strong and remember that if you give in, you start from ground zero. You're giving her some great skills. Just stick with it. You won't be sorry!

Lisa said...

Good for you, Rach!!! You will ALL benefit from this...don't tell Kent. (So supportive, that one.) You know everthing you need to, now the hard part is sticking to it. Just get it done soon, you will love your upcoming evenings of 20 minute bedtime routines, and then plenty of reading/TV/puzzle time for YOU!!!

Jodi said...

What a great post-very creative. Consistency is the key (which I admit I have a hard time with). I'm so glad I'm not the only one that looks to "Super Nanny" for advice. I seriously used to take notes and would dream about her coming to my house. :) You're doing an awesome job - keep up the good work!!! I'll be soooo worth it.

Suzanne said...

Ok, it sounds like you have this handled, so when you get a chance could you tell me what to do with an almost eight year old that STILL comes into my bed almost every night! UGHHHHH!!!!! Oh and by the way, I have nanny on right now and she isn't helping me!

Lisa Christine said...

It was great seeing you the other night. Your children are simply gorgeous!

Geri said...

Oh, thank god. I watch Supernanny and Nanny 911 and take notes already, and i bought Nanny Deb's book. Great book, by the way, for anyone wanting to pick up some handy tricks.

second, I know I'm not a parent or anything yet, but I -am- a nurse and I know that kids crave routine in their little animal hindbrains, whether they know it or not. You're doing the right thing, you're doing great, and a couple more nights of being consistent and firm is going to pay off big time. As for Kent, well, husbands can just be another kid sometimes.

I know you kept saying 'binki' in your post, but I kept reading it as 'bikini'. It added a whole new level of drama to the story that I found pretty hilarious.