Tuesday July 22, I received a call from my sister that my Grandpa was having a heart attack. It was about 7:30a.m., and by 8:30a.m. we were all at Kadlec. The time has gone by in a blur. It will be a week tomorrow, I really thought we would be in a better position by now. We are still in the woods, we are still only making baby steps. And it continues to feel like every time we take a step forward, we take 2 steps back.
There are so many things I will never forget. I will forever remember the sinking feeling when his blood pressure dropped drastically and as scary as it was to stay in his room while the doctor made critical decisions, I couldn't bring myself to leave. I sat and prayed so hard that he would pull through, God's will be done, and please let that be that my Grandpa would make it.
I remember the tortured feeling of saying goodbye and hugging him as he hugged me back and told me he would be fine. The doctors needed to put a pace maker in and they didn't even know if he would survive the trip to the cath lab.
I am grateful for the experience I had to take care of him, the tiny bit that I could. Giving him drinks of water and wiping his forehead when he spiked a fever. When I wiped his head with the cool wash rag he asked me if I remembered brushing his hair when I was little, I let him know of course I did. To actually be doing something instead of just sitting felt so much better.
I will carry with me the defeated feeling when I first saw him sedated and intubated. It just felt so backwards, to have been talking to him, and loose that communication.
But I think the most profound moment in the last six days came from my Grandma. I looked over at her, and she didn't look too good. I asked her if she was ok, if there was something I could do for her, and she just broke down in tears and said "I just miss him so much." Just that simple. It is easy to get caught up in his survival, and worrying about what the future would possibly be like with out him. I had forgotten about her present. She hasn't gone a day with out him for as long as I can remember.
I continue to pray and have faith that he will make it through this. We have a long road ahead of us, and I couldn't be blessed with a better family to travel it with. We have all come together from Portland to Walla Walla. I am proud to be a part of a strong, loving family.
Monday, July 28, 2008
Life
Posted by Rachael at 5:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I'm sorry you guys have to go through this, Rachael. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care!
Wow, that was amazing. I am seriously fighting back tears. I admire so much how close your family is and I have been blown away with your dedication to helping your grandpa and just being with him. I will keep him in my prayers and PLEASE let me take your kids or something!
Rachel, I'm sorry. I hope all goes well.
Rachael, I am so sorry you are all going through this. I'm sure it is so hard right now. I will be praying for your family. Please let me know if I can do anything for you at all!
Keeping your family in my thoughts.
I will be praying for your whole family. Your grandpa is so lucky to have such a strong amazing family fighting behind him. May God bless you all.
I'll never forget when I was fresh home from my mission and delivering furniture. We delivered a recliner to your grandparents, and I knew it was them just by the name. They didn't know who I was, or that I was close to the Landoni's, but they still treated me and the guy I was with like we were their best friends. They offered us lemonade and cookies and I was so impressed with their kindness and hospitality, and that they offered it to total strangers, I just couldn't get myself to cheapen it by telling them I know who they were. So I went in a stranger, but blessed by their wonderful spirits, I left a friend, on their own terms. I will be praying for your whole family Rach. Ultimately, whatever happens will be part of the Lord's plan and your lives will be enriched because of it.
So sorry you and your family are going through this. Pretty crazy.
I am so sorry! I hope you all have peace and comfort during this time!
What a sweet man to comb his granddaughters hair!
I've been thinking about you and your Grandpa and was wondering how you're doing and how everything's going. I'll be praying for your family.
Post a Comment