Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Little Family of 4

As my due date nears, I can't help but think about how my little balanced family of four will change. Every time I have had a baby we have lived somewhere different. Colton came home to a rented duplex in Richland, Aubrey came home to our house on Welsh Dr., and Lil Baby No Name will come home to John Deere Lane. Since I will be having another c-section, I am completely dreading the stairs.

In honor of the wonderfulness that is our family now, I thought I would make a list of 10 things about each of us, while we are still just a simple 4. And I will also take this time to thank all of those out there who insist that life was easy until they had their 3rd child. I love hearing that, really, if you see me again soon, tell me again.

Kent


1. He loves to snowboard and wake board. He actually has a small snowboarding equipment business. As much as I mock it, dread it, and hate when he asks for help, I am very proud of all that he has accomplished with it.

2. He has a shoe collection. A basketball shoe collection. It sits at the top of our closet. He has never worn the majority of them. The day I brought Aubrey home from the hospital, he told me he spent $500 on two pairs. He was very lucky I was taking pain pills at that point. My mind couldn't fully process what he had done.

3. He has a 65 Mustang Fastback. He loves his car. He desperately wants a 3 car garage so he can actually work on his car.

4. He is an Eagle Scout. Colton doesn't really understand what that means yet, but he loves to tell people that his dad is an Eagle Scout. I have to admit, I love that about him for no particular reason.

5. He served his mission in Iowa. It has been 7 years I think since he has been home and when it snows a lot or we are driving out of town he still makes reference to how things are similar or different to how it is in Iowa.

6. He can find just about anything you could ever want to buy on the Internet for the best deal, but no joke, if it's something he really really wants, it is unavailable. Every time.

7. He has worn glasses or contacts since middle school.

8. He loves college basketball. We have been together 6 years, and he has been to March Madness 5 times. I feel so horrible that I am due the week of the tournament this year. It will be in Boise and Portland, two very easy places to go.

9. He hates wasting food. He will eat week old leftovers so they don't get thrown away and wasted. I think it is disgusting.

10. He has been growing pepper plants for six months on my dining room table. We have yet to see a pepper.


Me


1. One time, along time ago, I got pulled over(for like the millionth time) and had no idea my license was suspended. Yeah, my car was impounded and it all cost a lot of money.

2. I have lived in all 3 of our little cities. But sadly enough, I have never been gone from home for more than about 10 days.

3. If I could pick anywhere in the world to visit, I would pick Italy.

4. I used to have my belly button pierced. And then when I decided that just wasn't for me, in all my humility, I had to ask my dad to cut it out because the end of it wouldn't screw off. Not my finest hour.

5. One of my very first, favorite groups was Wilson and Phillips. I always thought it was so cool that my mom would let me blare my cd on her cd player in the family room.

6. I only like to watch movies with happy endings.

7. I get some of my best ideas in the shower or driving in my car.

8. I like to do almost anything better with someone else. Like shopping, eating, cleaning, decorating, you get the idea. One time I did go to the movies alone and it was kinda fun.

9. I am totally going gray on the right side of my head, and it completely freaks me out.

10. I think about my grandpa everyday.

Colton


1. He is still obsessed with video games.

2. He has 2 of the most impossible cowlicks on the back of his head.

3. Today he helped me pick up months worth of dog poop with gloved hands to get a new webkinz. He now has 2, a husky named Speed Freeze and a silver back gorilla named Swinger.

4. Whenever he comes home from preschool and I ask him how it was, he gives me the same answer, "Good, I didn't have to go in the thinking chair."

5. When we asked him what we should name the baby he said Julia. Since then, it has gone from poop sandwich to racer girl, to anything else ridiculous he can think of.

6. He is big on telling 'why did the ......cross the road?' One night Kent and I had heard about a thousand and decided to point out that jokes are supposed to be funny. This was his next joke..."Why did Yoda cross the road?" Us, "Why" Him, "To buy pickles!" So Kent asked him, "Why is that funny?" and Colton replied "Cause he was supposed to buy bread!!" It was the first time we laughed at one of his jokes.

7. He loves root beer, chocolate milk, and his 'favorite juice' aka any kind of V8 Splash.

8. He has to practically be forced to play with toys. In his perfect world, he would go from the playstation to poptropica to webkinz to nick jr to tv shows and back to playstation.

9. He has to be forced to take a bath.

10. He can seriously be the sweetest kid. The other day he ran up and down the stairs about a hundred times relaying messages from me and his dad. Then he brought me something to eat, and insisted on carrying my dishes downstairs all by himself. And then he made sure there wasn't anything else I needed.

Aubrey



1. Says "What's that loud?" instead of noise.

2. She will put her hand on my stomach and whisper, "Huh! I hear her! Her moving!"

3. She changes her clothes about 50 times a day.

4. She still asks to play with my hair.

5. She wants to be on the go. She put her hands over her car seat buckles in an effort to stop me from taking her out because she did not want to go home. Her Aunt Amy has been picking her up and taking her home, she thinks it is the coolest thing to go to Bo Bo's house.

6. She has been yelling at herself in the mirror "You not my friend my sister!" Tyson has also been on the receiving end of this rant.

7. The other day she insisted that Colton get dressed because "I hungry. I need go Donalds. "

8. Her progress in potty training has been excellent. She still gets a little funny about it sometimes, but all in all we are pretty much in the clear. She has even gone at a store.

9. She likes to name all of her friends over and over.

10. She has more sass than any one little girl should have. Heaven help us all.


So here is to my family as I know it. I am excited and scared to have it all changed by a new edition to the family. I wouldn't want to go on the adventure of baby number three with anyone else.

10 comments:

Alicia Leppert said...

How is it your most moving, sentimental post had me laughing the hardest? Oh my gosh, you are so freaking hilarious! I think what made it so funny is I could see and hear you saying all of this. Here are some of my thoughts while reading this:
-So sorry your baby has come home to John Deere Ln. No baby should have to endure that
-Yeah, that comment about child #3 being the hardest, that's why I've stopped dead in my tracks.
-Loved the pepper plant story.
-It's Wilson Phyllips, not Wilson AND Phyllips. You call yourself a fan?
-I about wet my pants laughing on the belly button piercing story, even though I've heard it before.
-I knew there was a reason Colton and Payson clicked so well--they both don't know how to survive in the real, 3D world. We should lock them in a room with just toys until they learn to play.
-The thought of Aubrey yelling at herself in the mirror that she's not her friend sister was too much.

Thanks for the laugh. Priceless. Was my comment long enough or should I keep going?

Amy said...

I laughed
I cried
I hate you cause you pst better than I

Suzanne said...

Wow, I learned a little something about you. Not sure it was something I wanted to know, just kidding. If it makes you feel any better about having three I have always only wanted one or two, but now that they are 8 & 12, I keep telling Pete we should have had three. I can't wait to meet your #three.

Susan said...

So sweet, when is your c-section date?

Lisa said...

Oh Scratch...love you all, so fun to read a post of yours...seriously, you should treat us more often. Can I just say screw all those #3 naysayers? Sorry if that's harsh, but really who says that to a pregnant woman carrying her THIRD child? I always wanted to punch people in the face when they said that. Wow, that was harsh. Again...love all you Sanders, cool crowd.

meohmyers said...

This was the best post ever! Oh my gosh, you crack me up. I loved learning more about your awesome family. You'll do great with #3. Once they outnumber you, it's all over anyway. Your kids are so cute. I love that pic of Aubrey. See you tomorrow!!

Jodi said...

What a great post! I really enjoyed reading EVERYTHING. You're very entertaining! And I thought 3 was easy - 4 on the other hand....

Rosie said...

Thanks for the good laugh. You are a talented writer and I especially like the comment on 3 kids. That is what I felt like yelling to every single lady that would tell me that 3 was hard........NOW I am that woman! Good luck with the c-section.

Natalie said...

Loved it!! You are always so creative, funny and cute with your posts :-) It's just sad I haven't seen in you in ages. Hope you are feeling well! I am coming down next week sometime, we should get together and let the kids play :-)

Suzanne said...

Rach, todays the day! We are thinking of you! Can't wait to meet the 5th member of your family!