Today, I made it to church for the 2nd week in a row. I haven't done that in so long it's embarrassing. I even went without Kent. That is huge for me. And I know how sad that is. I am blessed to have a good friend and mother-in-law to help me out....seriously grateful. I am hopeful that soon, when I leave church I will feel spiritually fed. I don't know how to put it exactly, I don't want to come across judgmental, or I don't know, I just struggle sometimes. Kent told me I need to read a talk about learning from an imperfect teacher or something like that. For now I have decided to just focus on the obedience aspect of it all. I am supposed to go to church, I am supposed to take my children to church, and I will. I will be obedient.
Now that I have been there 2 weeks in a row I have officially worn all of the church clothes I have. Looks like I need to do a little shopping this week. I think I am excited about that. I always am until I realize what size I have to buy. And the way I think I look in the fun house mirrors they put in dressing rooms. You would think stores would catch on, line your rooms with slenderizing mirrors and they would sell clothes faster than McDonalds sells fries. Speaking of, fries sound killer right now....which you know, will totally help me fit into my perfect size....
Today after church, we went over to my moms. Everybody was there, and despite the chaos, it was fun. We haven't all been over there at the same time in forever. I talk to Amy and Lisa a lot but I sometimes go a long time without talking to my brother. I forget sometimes how much I like hanging out with him.
On the way home, I heard Colton say "Chicken Butt". Then a second later, "Guess what chicken butt" Aubrey was less than enthused, but it made me smile. It is like a right of passage, one of those things all kids learn at school. He said Zayne taught it to him. My best friend all through grade school ALWAYS said that. But of course, I had to remind him that we don't say butt, so he said 'chicken bum' and I had to tell him it just isn't funny that way...which inevitably means "Guess what chicken butt" will be saved for those moments I am not around. And honestly, that is totally fine by me.
I am proud of myself these last few weeks. I have been working hard to be a real mom and wife...aka, I get up in the morning and shower, cook dinner, do laundry, run the dishwasher everyday, have the whole downstairs cleaned up before bed, you know June Cleaver like. And even though at the end of those 2 weeks I ended up crying on a little pink stool in the kitchen from exhaustion and hormones I'd like to think, it was totally worth it. Kent helped cheer me up by ordering a bunch of food from Pizza Hut and watching Millionaire Matchmaker with me. I am determined to keep going with my new schedule, and hope I will learn to love making dinner. I really hate making dinner. I am horrible at it. Or maybe my kids will grow up looking forward to the nights we eat out or at a grandma's house...So, here is to another week of bedtimes, bath times, and laundry!
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Today
Posted by Rachael at 11:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I love that we've role reversed. You're all upbeat, productive, goal achieving, and I'm wallowing around letting my children watch more t.v. in the last two weeks than they've watched in their whole lives.
I keep telling myself that I'm just waiting for some sunshine, but, come on, I don't think I'm foolin' anyone.
keep truckin lady. i'm super proud of you. and inspired....
Church is just hard for some of us, it just is. It's one of those things that I worry about all the time (especially what the ones who are good at going think about me) and then I have to remember that it isn't about that. Never has been, never should be... You do what you can, you do the best you can, and the Lord understands your own specific situation like no one else can. Making dinner is so overrated, but I'm right there with ya...trying and trying to like making it and hating it all the same. I don't know how my mom did it, it's like I was seriously set up to fail before I ever got to be a mom myself. ;-) Your optimism is inspiring me, maybe I'll clean the house today...or maybe not. :)
rach...i love you! for reals, i'm super proud! you seriously made my day last week when you stood there across the hall waving at me at church. i know i stared at you not registering for far too long, but once i realized...it just made my day. you make me happy, and i'm always happier when you're happy. sappy i know, but who gives a chicken bum...way to go, babes!
my word verification: rediss
meanin: to diss again
RACHIE!!
First of all, I love that after a week of not checking my reader, I had 4 posts to read from you! Such a burst of Sunshine!! And I just adore this last post! Way to go champ! Needless to say I am way happy for you and your new resolve. And miss you like crazy!
does anyone even stay together on millionaire matchmaker? dont think i have seen one episode where that happens.
Rachael...your brutal honesty always slays me! :) You may be short in stature...but your opinion has always been bigger than you! hahaaa....that's my girl...:)
Good job! That's awesome! I don't like making dinner either...I just feel like it takes sooooooo long!
You are right on girl!!! That obedience thing will ALWAYS payoff. You're on a roll!! You also join millions of us that don't like to make dinner. Dessert however? I could do that with no prob every night! Love you girl. :)
Seriously, I was so impressed when I saw you at church for the second week in a row, and without Kent even!! However, I do have a bone to pick with you. You had to call an OUTSIDER friend to help you instead of asking a friend who is ALREADY THERE to help. Sniff. Oh, and way to go. You rock.
Post a Comment