Monday, October 10, 2011

'So last week I mentioned how uplifted and resolved to be a better me I felt after watching General Conference.  I have been diligently trying to look a the brighter side and try a little harder.  I have been successful in some aspects, and at the same time, I have completely bombed in others.  But the point is, I'm trying.

Like today for example, I woke up with a headache, my throat was sore, Kent was working...I could have stayed in bed all day.  But I knew I didn't want to miss being in Nursery, not when just the week before I had decided I was going to put more effort in my callings...we made it to church, and I felt good just knowing that I had won my personal struggle with church attendance.  Here comes the important part of my story...almost all of the kids in our class are more drawn to Alicia, but there is one little rascal in there, that finds comfort with me.  I have dark hair just like his mom, and I'm pretty sure that's why he is drawn to me, a fact that I would say was confirmed when he called me mom in class today...anyway, the real point is, once his mom left, he came right over to me, and I kid you not, I think he had one of his best days in Nursery yet.  I left church feeling tired, but blessed.  I felt like it was a tender mercy, an answer to a prayer.  I mattered.  It mattered that I was there.  I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows and loves me.

As thankful as I was for this experience today, I recognize that not all of my 'look on the bright side' struggles revolve around church related things.  It's hard to be all shiny and new about everyday things, to see the silver lining in the day to day.  So this is another example of me over coming my old negative, glass half empty kind of self.

Last night I came home from Danielle's baby shower, where I had received many a compliment on my appearance...so I came home and told Kent 'so, a lot of people told me I looked cute today...', totally spoon feeding him an opportunity to pay me a compliment, and he just said, 'yeah'.  The me I was last week would have been all hurt and down trodden, but the new me tried to look past it.....a few days ago, he came home from work and told me how good the pie was I had made him, he took the time to tell me how much a few of the guys at worked loved it too...so here is my calculation, my silver lining so to speak...Maybe he doesn't shower me with superficial compliments, but age and beauty fade...when I am old, and ugly, and fat, I will still be able to make a killer strawberry rhubarb pie...now that I said that, I'll probably have some tragic accident and have both my hands chopped off...and I don't see myself as the kind of person that would learn to make one with my feet...


Picture....


I am thankful for her prayers....Denice, I thought you'd like to know tonight she said "please bless grandma 'nice and grandpa that they will get home safely..."  She looks so silly climbing the gigantic sand dune in her bathrobe...

  

2 comments:

Mallary said...

At the risk of sounding cheesey. This brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my heart. Oh, and I laughed out loud at the thought of you making pie with your feet.

Lisa said...

I love you and I love your bloggie. You know what else I love??? Your strawberry rhubarb pie....any left? No? Just make another and give me a call this time.