Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Last Few Days...

Blogger is driving me nuts, if I don't put in a title right away it keeps flashing me big warning signs that a required field has not been filled.  I hit "ignore warning" and 1 second later, there it is again! And I hate titles! Which is why I just typed in some random letters last post....and then forgot to go fix it...

I had a great day Sunday, despite the fact that Colton had the worst attitude ever...seriously, if looks could kill, I would have been a tiny pile of ash.  He wasn't happy with me and he made sure I knew it.  He has no idea how lucky he is I had to teach the Relief Society lesson.  I didn't feel like I could beat my kid one minute and then go be all spiritual the next.  I'm not gonna lie though, I keep running over it in my mind, that look on his face, and I want to go back in time and take my spiritual chances and punch him right there in the middle of the chapel!

I think my lesson went pretty well.  Regardless of what I said or forgot to say, I felt the Spirit and we had a lot of class participation.  I taught about the importance of going to church and the difference it can make in our lives...both of which I have a personal testimony of....sometimes I do a little reflecting, and I'm proud to say I can see such improvements in my self since Kent and I started going back to church... I'm growing up! It's crazy to think how far we can come and how very far we can still have to go.  But I'm totally up for the challenge...as long as I can sleep in...

We had Sunday dinner at my parents house...when we got there my mom was slicing the meat, and then I noticed my dad going over the top of it saucing it just so, and it made me think of this Barbecue Pit-masters show I'd been watching all weekend, so I asked him if he'd ever seen it, and it turns out he'd been watching it too!  Which is why he was ever so delicately saucing meat! Sometimes I'm so amused by the smallest things...

Before I forget, Nat, if you are reading this, I just want you to know how much I loved all of your comments!!  They totally made my day and got me up this morning.  I wasn't expecting to see such awesomeness when I checked my email!  I hope you comment all the time and I think you are just as witty as I am!  I know how you feel about thinking your post sounds stupid, my sister can tell you that so many times I would call her right after I posted and ask her to read it and tell me if it sounded dumb!  Don't forget to send me an invite to your blog again, I would love to read about and see more pics of the kiddos!  We miss you guys tons and I'm not giving up hope you'll make it here either!

So Monday was Kent's birthday, the first day of swim lessons, and a bbq at Denice's, and so many other things jammed into what felt like the shortest amount of time ever.

I texted Kent all morning and didn't even think to actually wish him a happy birthday until I noticed someone did on fb.  I felt like a total loser.  I was so caught up in trying to figure out how I was going to get him a present, make him dessert and do a bunch of other stuff all at the same time, it never even occurred to me to say happy stupid birthday.

The kids were pretty excited to make him a big poster and Colton came up with the idea to hang it outside our bedroom door so when Kent woke up and opened the door he would walk right into his sign!  I think the whole "dad, come out!  no wait!  wait til we tell you!  almost!  ok..no!wait! wait!  Ok, come out!" might have ruined the whole, walk into it totally surprised!  When he finally came out the girls found everything the could to give him.  Addy gave him 3 pretzels for his birthday snack, Aubs gave him her $20 and some school supplies...and Colton was more than willing to go to the mall with him to find something.  Kid loves to shop. 

In the end, the mall was a strike out, but  I just kept hearing Lisa's voice in my head saying "everyone likes a little something on their birthday"  So I made a quick stop at Best Buy and grabbed a blue tooth speaker to work with his phone.  He is literally the hardest person ever to get a gift for.  Anything and everything he wants is expensive, too specific, or impossible to find...

We also started swim lessons with Danielle on Monday morning...

My favorite part of swim lessons was when Addy asked Danielle "Did I did it?!"  And of course listening to all the funny stuff her and Carson kept saying....I asked Colton and Aubrey if they learned anything new, and no surprise Colton said no, and Aubrey said yes.  I often look at Colton and wonder what it feels like to know everything...Addy did her first bob ever, and I gotta say, Danielle deserves a medal.

We ended the day spending time at Denice's house with some pretty delicious strawberry shortcake.  I somehow managed to pull it all off.  I think the kids might go into morning tho, now that Aunt San went back to Seattle and won't be here to swim with them...

Today-Tuesday

Kent and the kids met up with Denice and her visiting family brood at the Spudnut Shop this morning.  And me, I actually got up and did some cleaning before swim lessons.  Christmas miracle right there...but, if you were sitting next to me tonight, you'd think I was lying...

Addy was so not excited about swim lessons today.  As I was shoving her into her swimsuit, fighting stiff arms and limp legs, she told me things like "I hate swim lessons!  Fine!  You are not the best mom eva!"  Then when Danielle asked her why she didn't want to be in the pool she told her because she didn't like the rocks-aka the pattern of the pool liner.  A half an hour later, and Danielle earns another medal.

We all enjoyed a little leisure swimming, and then headed home.  And for the first time in what felt like forever, we had nowhere to go.  And it was so nice for me.  And pure torture for the kids.  And we had snacks for dinner and watched movies and tv, and did nothing.  Lisa came over and partook of the leftover dessert and hung out for awhile.  It seems like forevs since we've done that too.

Here is the crazy alert, the juiciest part of this entire post.  I called Kent with a computer problem, and he told me he booked us flights to Vegas.  Like literally, completely, done deal, signed, sealed, delivered.  I'm kinda freaking out.  I just kept telling him "I want a new door"  And he kept telling me we have to ride the bigshot, and I kept saying "no.  no way."

I told him it made me feel like I needed to go on a diet.  But then I remembered I have chips and dip, chocolate covered almonds, and strawberry shortcake, and thought, 'eh, I have time'

Pictures...

Colton's birthday poster for Kent...




Aubrey's poster...

And Addy drew him a rainbow...

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Special mention on Rach's blog... somebody pinch me! First off, when are you going to Vegas?? How fun, you guys totally deserve it! I still haven't lost hope for visiting, however after talking with Kev last night... it is getting very exhausting trying to convince him that the kids will be good for the 60 hours of driving and that we can afford the trip with loan money, that when all is said and done we would probably end up paying 10x the amount... I might need a little help convincing, if you know what I mean ;-)
Attitudes are the worst-we've been dealing with a few of our own, drives me nuts. (I keep telling Kev, they just miss their family... oh yes, I try and plug in for the trip any chance I get, hoping I'll catch him at a week moment and he'll cave!!) I wish I could be there to hear your lessons, I am sure you do a fantastic job! Anyway... now that I've typed more for this comment than I do for my own blog posts...
Happy Birthday Kent!! And sad we weren't there to join in on all the family festivities. We sure do miss you all, A LOT!! (Kev too, he is just being stubborn... :-))

Dlovesocks said...

Omgosh Rach! I just read this blog sitting in the (?) in the hotel in Portland. And John thinks I'm crazy because I'm laughing out loud. Addy is too hilarious for words. I love the rocks in my pool line and giving Kent 3 pretzels for his bday snack. And Aubs giving him $20 and school supplies? It's good that you're blogging cuz no one would believe the things they say! They're so witting they must take after me!