Sunday, August 11, 2013

I seriously had the best day today...

Last week a friend of mine from church posted a lift chair up for grabs, and I done gone and grabbed it for my grandma.  I was going to take it to her this week, but between her schedule and my schedule, we had to bump it back until today.  I am so glad we did.  After dropping Aubrey off with Denice so she wouldn't miss the birthday party she was invited to, Lisa, Addy, and me headed to Walla Walla...

We got grandma all set up in her new chair, and tried our best to teach her to use it.  The first time she stood up when we had it elevated a bit, she said "ooh, that's nice!"  So why she doesn't seem to get the concept of having the chair all the way up to stand is beyond me.  Lisa said when she would tell her to raise it higher grandma just kept telling her that her feet were touching the ground...either way she looked pretty cute in it and I have faith someone else can help her figure it out...

After we got the new chair all set up, we loaded up the old chair and headed for Saint Vincent de Paul...but not before Lisa used her super strength to all but lift grandma straight up in the sequoia.  It was awesome, especially when I opened my door to hear Lisa tell her sorry about all the physical contact...I wish I could remember her exact words now...for the most part I just stood back and said 'so you got it?' whenever Lisa loaded and unloaded grandma and the heavy as crap wheelchair...I mean, I had to get Addy all loaded and buckled, so...

We got the old chair dropped off and headed to this crazy delicious french pastry shop in downtown...grandma of course stayed in the car, just like last time.  But as we were getting out, she asked us to get her an apple fritter if they had some...then she told us she likes the big ones, she wanted a big one... and being who we are, Lisa and I snickered as we walked away...big one..

Next on our list of stops was Applebees, but not before the slight detour to McDonalds to get Addy a happy meal.  It always makes me sad when Addy tells her thank you and she can't hear her...so we get to the restaurant, and the most traumatic thing ever happens.  I seriously watch Addison in slow motion fall out of the sequoia as she opens her door.  I couldn't get to her fast enough and she totally hit her head and went clunking down head first to the parking lot.  I gasped and scooped her up, and much to my surprise she didn't cry for very long.  I think she was more scared than hurt actually.  All throughout the day she kept checking her arm and telling me her owie was still there...meanwhile, I just keep replaying the scene in my head over and over, kinda slow motion like....I think I might have some PTSD going on...

On a better note, the grilled cheese sandwich and sweet tomato basil soup I had was fantastic.

After lunch grandma asked us if we wanted to go by Aunt Jay's old house and see the new paint color... it was so different, and not in a good way...so we talked about how much we didn't like it...she said she thinks it will always just look better white.  Then we drove around the nursery parking lot and talked about how pretty everything was...

On the drive back to her place I asked her what her and grandpa did for their first date.  She said they went to the movies, but she couldn't remember which one.  Then I asked her where they met, and she said at a CYO (catholic youth organization) meeting.  I asked who approached who, and she said it was kinda mutual...then we all agreed grandpa was so handsome...I think I saw a bit of sadness and longing in her face when she said "yes, he sure was"....great moment...and no, Aunt Jay never even had so much as a boyfriend.

When we made it back to her place we saw the 5 turkeys just down the sidewalk so we followed them for a bit, and tried to make a break from the crazy lady...I can't get over how good and nice Lisa is to all the people.  I mean I was nice, and I talked to her, but Lisa asks them their names, things I would never even think to ask.  We sat outside for a little bit and visited with her lunch neighbor Gloria, who is apparently on blood thinners and can't stand the air conditioning because she's too cold, because she had the blood clots you see.  Gloria has lived at Garrison's for 13 years...I can't even imagine...

After we all worked up a sweat, grandma probably less of one than any of us, seeing as how she got to just sit and be wheeled around by Lisa, we headed back upstairs.  And we sat and watched Murder She Wrote.  It was quite the episode...that Jessica Fletcher is one smart cookie, made the Happy Days dad sheriff look like an idiot as she explained the crime...it kinda reminds me of Thelma and the end of the Scooby Do episodes.

Finally at 4:00 we said our good byes and headed out to do just a wee bit of shopping and come home. And I think between me and Lisa we have said "I had such a nice time" and "it was such a great day" at least a hundred times.  Even the part where Addison kept poking Lisa and saying "I touched your boob"...and I almost forgot, Addy and I had gone out to the car and were waiting for Lisa to finish checking out and use the bathroom, I'm messing with my phone and notice Addy is rolling her window down, which she does all the time, and I look up and see Lisa coming, and then all I can hear is the loud spitty sound of sticking out your tongue at someone.  It was timed the way you might say hello to someone, or hurry up...instead, it was just a totally rude, perfectly timed inappropriate gesture...it was kind of awesome.  She really is dripping in sweetness...

Then, I came home and cleaned.  Like really cleaned.  I even put away laundry...like laundry that I have left in my bag since the beach and a basket I have moved around like 60 times in the last month and a half since I washed it.  Aubs helped some and we just had a nice relaxing evening, and no one got in trouble, and I even know what everyone is wearing to church tomorrow. I'm so ahead of the game, it's like it's someone else's fb status...

Kent and Colton are off at the Griffey game with John and Easton.  They got the bobble heads, and it sounds like even though the Mariners lost, the ceremony was worth the trip all in itself.  I'm so grateful John took my boys, all 3 of 'em...

Kevin and Nat are in town, but after literally driving for 26-30 straight hours, and getting in sometime after eight, our reunion will be postponed until tomorrow.  I can't wait to see them all...

Pictures....

At Applebees...this was after Addy's fall, but before grandma tried to make us eat all of her french fries...


Kent and Colton at the game...I wish I had one of all 4 of them...



4 comments:

Dlovesocks said...

Wow can't believe Im first! Loved the post! From the grandma wanted "a big one" to Addy falling out of the car.
Yo should consider writing a book. No one would believe it!

Shayla said...

...it's like someone else's fb status. Classic.

Mallary said...

Every time I check your blog for a new post and still see "I seriously had the best day today..." I seriously have the worst day.

Natalie said...

I'm a little jealous... I didn't get a "I seriously had the best day"... but I guess I should just be grateful that I also didn't get the "worst day" either! I felt kinda guilty not wanting to see anyone that night we got there, but I didn't want to ruin the whole trip by having everyone be totally grossed out by us and all of our swass! It was a long stinkin drive.