Tuesday, August 20, 2013

So, I am starting a new segment on my blog.  I found a Better Homes and Garden book titled Baby Book Prenatal to Six Years in my grandma's stash of stuff.  This book has a copyright for 1943, 1945, 1946...and it is straight up comedy.  So far my favorite quote from the book is from a section entitled...

Smoking
  Moderate smoking seems to do no harm-that is, under 8 or 10 cigarettes a day.  If you are a heavy smoker, doctors advise that you cut down, but don't try to quit entirely, as this is an added strain.
  If you have been accustomed to an occasional cocktail, this too is not expected to injure you or the baby. Naturally an expectant mother will neither smoke nor drink to excess, since this would do definite damage.

Can you even imagine??  There is so much good, entertaining, crazy backwards stuff in this book, I think it will be my new favorite thing to read...

Last night when I was laying with Addy, we had a funny little conversation...I was telling her how I don't want her to grow up, and she replied with "But mom, I have to dwow (grow) up for a little while.  Then when I get all the food swallowed out of the way, then I can be yuh (your) baby Addy aden (again), otay?
I have to dwow up so I can open Cloney's bwown date (gate)..."  Oh how I love her, let me count the ways...I can't even begin to imagine how her mind works.  Her thought process should be studied by scientists...I truly, with my whole heart don't want her to dwow up...or have her voice change...the thought literally tears my guts out...

My mom and dad took me, Colton, and Addy out to Target tonight to get some school supplies.  I figured I needed one concrete thing I could cross off my list of stuff to do, besides finding a skip-bo app on my phone.  Addison was completely nuts...and instead of stressing out and worrying about my mom judging my lack of parenting, I just sat back and laughed...until the end when she ran away from my dad and Colton found her down some random isle...oh how quickly the tides turn...especially the spastic ones...

After shopping Michelle and I went out and did a few visits for Relief Society.  It was the perfect end to my day.  I had such a nice time, and felt spiritually uplifted.  We shared a spiritual message with the sister we visited, and Michelle shared an experience she had of asking her 7 year old if he believed the stories he knows so well.  I had never thought to ask my kids that question.  Knowing something, and knowing it be true are two very different things.  I love moments of perspective like that...

So when Colton and I went to pick up the girls from my moms, I asked him if the stories about Nephi, and all the other scripture stories he knows, if he thinks they are true, if he thinks those things really happened.  He said yes without hesitation, and I talked to him a little about praying, and asking if the things he is taught are true, so he can know for himself, then about how to recognize the Spirit, to get the answers to his questions.  It was a good moment.  And I'm grateful I had that chance with just him and I.  And I am so grateful for the incredible women in my life and in my ward.  It's the little things, the little thoughts, the tiny moments...love them...

Then, about 2 minutes after our deep conversation, Colton asks me if when I hold my hands on my eyes, like I'm gonna rub them, but just push my hands down on my closed eyes, if I ever see "like, gray wavy lines"...I said I'd seen spots before, but no gray wavy lines...then he tells me, if he does it for awhile, he sees a pink circle kinda, like he can actually see his brain, because he has seen pictures of brains in books, and that's exactly what it looks like.  His friend Zane can see his brain too....I just said "I can't do that!  That's pretty cool"...I love that kid....

Pictures...

I didn't talk to or text Lisa even once today...I'm not sure if that's ever happened...my life feels all out of balance now...


We found out today Colton has Mrs. Wren for his 4th grade teacher...if he can see his brain, maybe he can see the future too...I'll have to ask him....

Aubrey's teacher will be Mr. Hernandez.  He seems to be the coveted teacher of all 2nd grade students. She will have Ellie, Sabrina, Eli, and Zoe in her class!

I have to find some formula to stop time...



2 comments:

Shayla said...

We loved Mrs. Wren!! Such an awesome teacher. I know everyone loves Mr. Hernandez, as well. We got the new teacher that year instead of him. Yay! This is your first year with no new teachers, right? P.S. - I only smoked a couple packs a day with my kids...you think they're ok? I wish I'd known about that book when I was pregs, I might have made some better choices.

Natalie said...

Miss you already Rach! Why is it that I feel like we are getting closer being 30 hours away?!? Distance makes the heart grow fonder comes to mind... haha ;-)