Sometimes, even when I have a lot to write about, I can't think of a way to start...like the things I'm thinking just don't have a natural beginning, or the beginning I can think of is full of pointless crap, the stuff that makes Kent's eye's glaze over just before he rushes me through the background details...
So, despite the horror stories I have been told, Colton survived his first day on the bus. I watched him run down the street to his bus stop, and then watched for the bus to come, just to make sure he got on ok. It was such a weird feeling, sending him off with someone I don't know. I'm hoping maybe tomorrow or the next day Addy will actually be awake and I can walk down to the bus stop with him and meet the driver. Do parents do that? Can they do that? Stop the driver for a minute for an introduction? We have back to school night to meet our teachers, so why don't we have a meet your bus driver night? They are transporting our most precious things in the world, and we don't even know their names...
Yesterday when I took Colton and Payson to the store with me, I heard him ask Payson if he had any 'man hair' yet. I swear my ears physically perked up to listen, I was praying his idea of 'man hair' wasn't my idea of man hair...totally dodged a bullet when I heard him follow up with 'like do you have any hair on like your arms and legs? I totally have hair like all over my arms, and some on my legs...'
So dropping Aubrey off at school was as emotional as I thought it would be. At first she held my hand a little, and then we walked over to the playground to find Lydia. Just about the time we got there the duty called them all to line up. I had her give me a hug, and then she just walked away to get in line...cue tears...but only for the briefest moment, because I turned around to find Addy refusing to get off the play ground toys. Snapped back into reality. But then, as we were walking through the parking lot, soft breeze blowing...Addy just kept waving this sad little wave in the direction of Aubs classroom...cue tears again...then I stopped to chat with Miss Molly for a second. And then finally my last bout of tears started as I drove out of the parking lot, quivering lip and all...
Then I headed over to Amy's to have a little birthday lunch for Lisa. Nachos good. Mini fruit pizzas goood. It was totally laid back, and I had a really good time. which wasn't the point of course, it was Lisa's birthday, but I'm pretty sure she had a good time too...whatevs
Cutest thing, when Addy and I dropped Lisa off at home, Addy started crying and when I tried to console her she just reached out her little hand and said "mama, E!" That's what she calls Easton. My heart melted a little...
Then on to home where I started panicking that I didn't tell Colton to make sure he waited for Aubrey before he started walking home. I imagined her sitting there, not getting off at her stop, and started to panic a little. So when the bus drove by we headed over to the stop, they both got off and all was well again...until about 5 minutes after they got home and it was total madness.
Pictures.....
Here is Colton, and try as I may, it was just not his best day for a picture, plus I wanted to make sure he got to the bus on time so I only snapped a few pictures...
I swear, it must have been "Don't Look Natural Day" because I couldn't get a very good pic of Aubs either... neither one of them wanted me to take their picture at all, least of all Aubrey...even so, I think she is one adorable kindergartener...
this is the dollar I paid her to wear her adorable dress instead of some heinous mismatched outfit...
5 comments:
Oh man, so much to comment on. Seriously, how do you come up with some of this stuff? Your humor comes across perfectly in your writing. Kent's eyes glazing over...love it.
Yeah, I have to admit I'm a little relieved my son didn't come home educated on the subject of pubes. (Sorry, Josh, if you're reading this.)
I thought it was so hilarious how you said Aubs let go of your hand and went and got in line...cue tears...and one would totally assume it was the child's tears. But no, they were yours. So funny. Well, probably not so funny when you were crying.
I can't believe you paid her a dollar to wear that dress! That is freaking hilarious! And I love that you took a picture of it to blog. That is going to be something you'll both look back and laugh about when she's older. Oh, and her little grey Conver's (as Payson calls them)...adorbs.
I thought about you all day today! I'm glad that you survived with only three tear ups! And by the way, you can totally talk to the bus drivers. One of my favorite regulars at BN was a bus driver, he didn't mind at all when moms would talk to him.
So glad you survived! and they did too. You should introduce yourself to the bus driver, we gave ours little presents on holidays too!
I still remember one of my bus drivers' name and where she lived. Her name was Mrs. Marks and I waved to her on 10th street every time I drove by her house and saw her outside. She totally reminds me of the grandma on "Dennis the Menace" movie. So, yeah, good call Rach, I think a parent/teacher/busdriver night would be great! I totally want to know who is driving around my magnum opus.
Dropping off your kindergartner for the first time at school – three episodes of tearing up.
Preventing your daughter from wearing something heinous ainus on her first day of school – $1
Reading about everything from 'eye glaze' to 'man hair' – Priceless.
Yes, Rach, absolutely meet the bus driver. It's your right as a mother to know who's driver your kids. Hey, Aubs still looks waayy to old! It's freaking me out! She's too cute. And Colt may have a fake smile, but we looks darling, (I mean cool) and so confident with his look. back to school was always so emotional for me. You spend all summer wishing for school to start, and then when it does, you fall apart. At least that's how it was for me. Hang in there, Rach. You'll be loving the extra freedom in no time at all!
Post a Comment