I have always loved hearing my mom tell the story, our story, of how I came in to this world. It is a difficult one. There were ups and downs, and some pretty scary moments. But we made it through. As I grew up, I continued to put her through the ups and downs, from boyfriends to back talking. But we made it through. I think that is the best way to describe our relationship..."We made it through, and came out stronger".
I am so grateful to have the unconditional love of my mother. There was never a road I could travel or a wrong turn made that we couldn't come back from. She has taught me so much about the value of family, and keeping them close. As a kid, no matter how mad I was at her, or how unfair I thought she was being, those dramatic moments a child swears they are unloved! I could always talk myself down, I would think, 'if she didn't love me, she wouldn't have done this, or that' Her love was always evident.
I remember growing up, I would love to sit in the Living Room and listen to her talk to her friends. I have always admired her ability, her gift really, to talk to people. I don't think there is a person out there, who has been in her home, that hasn't felt welcomed. She puts people at ease, and makes them feel like what they are saying has value to her, just because it has value to them. I hope someday people will feel that way in my home.
She created a home that we wanted to be in. I think the most important lesson my mom has taught me, is to be home, and make my home a place my kids and their friends want to be. As much fun as it was to stay at a friends house, it was always more fun to have them stay with me. The treats were endless, bedtimes were loose. I stopped and talked to one of my brothers friends at a store one day, it had been years since he had been to her house, him and my brother were in college when he had been there last. He stilled talked about hanging out at the Landoni's. Whenever any one of us wanted to get a big group together, we knew we could always volunteer our house. It didn't matter how late it was, the noise was fine, and she was usually up with us. I had plenty of friends who would stop by whether I was home or not. I am so thankful for that.
And now, it has come full circle. I see a lot of my mother in me, and I hope that only continues to grow. If not, well, my kids can go live at her house, at least while they are teenagers. I call her constantly seeking advice and asking for her help. Her working at the Warehouse is totally throwing a kink in my neediness. Thank goodness for cell phones.
Our relationship has evolved with time, now I am a mother and wife myself. And I happy to say my mom is one of my very best, most treasured friends. Soon we will all be off to our family vacation. My parents save back all year so we can all go together. With the money they spend on their kids and grand kids, they could go anywhere they wanted, some where new every year. But they don't. Whenever they leave for even a weekend, they come back telling us it's just not the same when we aren't there. I love that her example has taught me that giving of myself and all that I have, reaps the very best gift any mother could ask for.
I am thankful for the things she has taught me, and know I have much more to learn. I no longer look at her through the eyes of a child, but rather the eyes of a wife and mom. It changes things a bit, but my appreciation, respect and love only grows....
Thank You Mom. I love you more than I can say. I know without a doubt, you were meant to be my mother.
Sunday, May 11, 2008
I Love My Mom
Posted by Rachael at 8:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Your mom is also one of the best Primary teachers ever! I used to love to go to Kristen Andelin's house and see the awesome things that Brock had brought home from Sister Landoni's class.
What an amazing tribute to your mom.
Your mom is a great lady! I always enjoy getting to visit with her. She is so much fun. This is a great tribute to her.
The best thing about your mom is her laugh! Truly contagious and you're right - hanging at your house was always fun and simply comfortable. All you Landoni's have the gift of gab and telling hilarious stories! I'm so glad you and Amy blog too! I just posted Ryan's synchronized swimming routine for the talent show :) Total inside joke w/ the Titanic song!
Great post to your totally deserving mom, Rach!
I still remember being about eight or nine years old and at your house for one of the first times, and your mom finding "The Last Unicorn" on her tv for me to watch. I knew from that moment on that your mom was a total badass.
Post a Comment