This morning when the kids and I were about to leave for preschool, Colton asked for a coat. He never wants a coat. We were in a hurry, but what kind of mother denies her son the warmth of a coat? So I grabbed the first one I found in the hall closet, his white Hurley hoodie. He looked at, made a mopey face and this was our conversation
Colton: I don't want that one
Me: Just wear it, we are in a hurry
Colton:But that is my white one, I want my black one
Me: I don't know where your black one is, whats wrong with your white one?
Colton: Black is a bad color and white is a good color and I want to wear black cause I want to wear a bad color, not a good color
Me:(totally disturbed)You can wear your white one or nothing at all
So, with shoulders slumped and defeat across his face, he walked to the car in his good colored hoodie.
Today Colton and Payson were watching tv, waiting for Kent to get home so they could play Leggo Star Wars. I was in the other room trying to read a magazine and block out the sound of the Disney Channel. Reading the magazine did not work out so well. The sound of my son's voice saying this took my full attention
"Payson if you do that again, I'm gonna tell my mom and she is gonna call the police and they are gonna come take you to jail."
The other day I was upstairs in my room watching 101 Dalmations with Aubrey(she calls it 'ah puppy' and requests it all day long) when Colton walked in with my soda. There was only a little bit left, so when he asked if he could have some I said "Sure just make sure you share it with your sister." When it was gone he asked if he could have a drink from my cup downstairs. I told him I didn't care, and then our conversation went south...
Colton(whiny voice): Well, dad will say no!
Me: What is your dad doing anyway? Is he taking a nap?
Colton(smile spreading across his face, mental wheels turning): Why? Then I can be really quite and sneak down and get some and he won't know?!
After each of these conversations, I of course followed up with best answers I could. Another conversation about being honest and kind to others. I have been talking to him a lot about the choices he makes, and deciding if what he is doing will make Heavenly Father sad or happy. Even though he gives me that evil Chesire Cat grin when I am talking to him, every once in a while he indicates that he might be listening...
Today at lunch, the kids were name calling, no doubt Colton started it, I guess I shouldn't say kids.....Today at lunch Colton and Spencer were calling eachother names, when Amy and I piped up from the kitchen, Colton started telling his friends to "Follow the Prophet"
Thursday, May 8, 2008
Why I'm Worried
Posted by Rachael at 10:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Uh, I'm pretty sure Lego is spelled with one G, but whatevs. Talk about going to the dark side. What is it with kids and their obsessions with the villians? I think that it is pretty much normal though. So in reality Amy is the one who should be worried.
Well that explains the nightmare Payson had last night. Kidding.
Yeah, it's totally normal. My sis. Amy was so worried with her son because when he was Colton's age he was obsessed with being the bad guy and people dying. He's 12 now and the sweetest kid ever, but he still loves things like skulls and hard rock and anything "bad" like that. But he probably won't end up being a serial killer.
Probably? Do I sense doubt Leesh?
Oh, he's just being a boy I bet. When I was growing up I remember my younger brothers "Karate chopping" me to death... and telling my mother they would have serious issues when they were older. They're older now, and they don't. It sounds like you are teaching them so well though. I loved the, "Follow the Prophet!" That was so nice.
Post a Comment