Thursday, April 24, 2008

Top 10 Reasons I'm Glad I'm Not Rich

The other day Kent and I were just hanging out with the kids, not doing much. Kent went upstairs for awhile and when he came back down, his mood had done a 180. I asked what was wrong, hoping it wasn't the fact that our bedroom floor still looks like a dressing room, and he simply said "I did the bills." And immediately, I think, oh yeah, that'll do it to ya. So I decided to make a list that will help me be grateful for our financial situation in life.


1. My kids will learn the value of money. Whining incessantly only gets them the $10 toy, if they want one that costs more than that, they have to earn it, or be resourceful and ask their grandparents.

2. If I had a lot of money, I might travel. Traveling would lead to the realization that the Tri-Cities is ugly and smelling. This could result in my moving away. Too many lives would be affected by my absence. (I guess that is why everyone else should be glad I'm not rich)

3. If I had a fair share of money, I might feel like I need to donate some. I can't imagine how long it would take me to pick an organization to donate to. Now, we just pay for everyone else who doesn't pay taxes. Thanks to the government, the choice is made for us!

4. If I had an endless bank account, I would probably have a huge closet full of clothes, shoes, purses, etc. Again, the decision of what to wear would be so vast, a person like me would never make it out of the massive room that would be my closet. Good thing now I just have to decide which t-shirt and flip flops to put on.

5. If my account runneth over, I would have a cleaning lady. This would hinder my ability to appreciate the endless tasks of having a family. I would take for granted the pleasure one receives in cleaning pee of the bathroom floor, washing dishes, vacuuming, and so on. I would never know what an accomplishment it is to wash, fold, and actually put away a load of laundry.

6. If I had tons of money, I wouldn't be able to tell who my real friends were. At least now I know the people who hang out with me like me for who I am. Or they just don't have anything better to do.

7. If I were rich, Kent would be rich. This would lead to endless trips to ski resorts, owning a boat, a Mustang collection, going out whenever we wanted. And really, who wants that? I like things just the way they are, few and far between.

8. If we were debt free, Kent and I would have one less thing to talk about. No more, fighting about money, wondering how we would make it to next Friday, what we should pay off first. These things enrich our lives together. If these conversations were non existent, so would be a chunk of who we are as a couple.

9. If money were no object, I would never cook again. And where some who have eaten at my house might fail to see the problem with that, it could indeed have some serious negative side effects. I can't think of any now, but I'm sure there has to be some.

10. If the cash flow was a flowin, who am I kidding, it would be freakin awesome.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

There you go. See... silver lining everywhere... or at least stainless steel!

Suzanne said...

Ok, I know that you are probably right, it wouldn't be very good to be rich, but I just want to try it out!!

Lisa said...

you vacuum?

Oh, and don't worry about being rich, when I become a famous actress...I'll share. :)

Geri said...

Being rich isn't so great, you're in a higher tax bracket and they find a way to curbstomp your wallet anyway. Even so, given my recent financial woes, your list made my day a little brighter.

Alicia Leppert said...

You are brilliant! How do you come up with this stuff?! I love knowing that we're not the only poor people. Basically I just said that I'm glad you don't have any money. That's nice, huh?

Lisa Christine said...

Oh wow. I'm impressed. I don't think I could have come up with a list of 10 things. Just goes to show that you can find the good in any situation.
The next time you are folding laundry I know that you will be appreciating the great opportunity it is and basking in the satisfaction of completeing the task.

tharker said...

Love it!