Thursday, April 7, 2011

Colton's Basketball Party

Ok, so here's the skinny on Colton's party.  Kids came.  Lots of kids.  They played games, earned tickets, spent tickets, ate cake, and of course present opening...

Now, here is the party in pictures.  I wish I had more.  I wish I had better lighting.  I wish, I wish, I wish...
 
Setting the scene is always my favorite part of the birthday party....Kimmie and I made the signs, I made the banner...I think my favorite decorations were the score board and the balloons...but the whole thing together was pretty freakin cute...


When the kids first got here, all 17 of them, Kent lined them all up in the front and explained that they were all going to go into the backyard and get to find 2 basketball eggs...just 2.  And then again...just 2.  Inside the eggs were tickets...they had 2, 3, or 4 tickets in each...

Now on to training....Kent was the coach, and he called on Easton, Graycie, and Macy to assist...it was commical to say the least...they did jumping jacks, crunches, and ran from fence to fence...and I almost forgot, Easton had them doing high knees too...Now that I look at it, the top row middle picture was from the egg hunt, my bad...training earned you 5 tickets

After training came the Basketball tournament..."Sanders Shoot-Out"  The first 3 rounds were supposed to be funny, and easy.  The age range at the party went from 3 to 10, so I was trying to figure out a way to make it so everyone could earn some tickets and have some fun.  Round 1 was Addy's hoop, Round 2 was a fisher price hoop, Round three was an inflatable basketball and a hula hoop....

 
Round 4 you had to make a basket in the real hoop, we lost a few here...then if you passed Round 4, you had 1 shot, and few steps back to go PRO...if you went PRO you got paid for playing, 10 bonus tickets...up until that point the ticket amount was equivalent to the round...Colton was pretty disappointed he didn't make his PRO shot, I didn't want him to be disappointed at his own party, so we fudged the rules and let him shoot until he made it, and then invented "semi-pro", which earned you 5 bonus tickets, Maverick went semi-pro too...but Graycie, Macy, and Easton were for reals PRO...it was pretty fun, and the kids that didn't make it had fun playing on the swing set...

This was the 'Bracket' with the results...I hand made my basketball stickers...an orange marker, black sharpie, and white circle stickers...clever right?  I thought so anyway...
After we came inside and handed out all the tickets from the Shoot-Out, I realized I had no idea how to make going into the 'Club House and Concession' fair.  A major detail I had over looked.  Lisa was quick on her feet and numbered the back of 17 tickets and the kids drew numbers, Colton lucked out and drew number 1...
 
When I set up the table I went Chuck E. Cheese style.  I broke the prizes into ticket values, and grouped them on the table so the kids could see what the choices were and how much they would cost them...my favorite prize was definitely the pennant flags.  Shayla whipped those up for me, then I printed them at Kinkos  and hot glued them to some dowels...in the bottom right corner are the bags I made to put all of their stuff in...

The kids shopping....it was pretty cute watching them try to decide what they wanted, if they had enough tickets, what someone else was getting...

And then time for cake.  Shayla made the freakin awesome cupcake toppers for me, and Alicia made the super cool jersey cake...Colton loved the cake, Kent thought I ruined it by putting in the candles...then after cake presents...

I think the party was a success.  It went surprisingly well considering the amount of children...when I asked Colton what his favorite part was he said "The whole thing!"  Aubs said buying stuff with her tickets...Now, I'll take a few days off and get started on Aubrey's

*this party was brought to you by The Dollar Tree, Hobby Lobby, Friends, and Family*

A HUGE Thank You for all those that donated time and moral support...

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

That looks awesome Rach!! Very fun.

Joshua said...

freakin' ridiculous!

Joshua said...

I mean, who puts in wood floors just so it matches the party theme? Hardcore. Hardcore.

Anna K. said...

That is so cool!!

Shayla said...

Wow, I am super impressed. I wish I had stopped by to see it all in person. I can't believe you had that many kids there! Holy...I would have totally dropped in exhaustion and tears when it was all over. I'm sure Colton felt like the bomb. And that's all that matters, right? Alicia's cake is amazing, of course. And how cool to see something I made in use at someone's party. Totally awesome for me. I hope they printed up okay. The prize table is completely genius, I bet the kids LOVED it. And I LOVE the bags you made, it needs to be printed, framed and put up in Colton's room. So, let me know what I can do to help with Aubrey's party, k? I LOVED helping you, totally made my super crappy week better. ;) 2 down, 1 to go...

Amy said...

Your party was super radical. Totally worth all the time, effort, and money. Not to mention it being worth all the fretting, worrying, decision making, shopping, and brainstorming. Seriously awesome party. I still can't believe how well it went considering all those kids! I was super impressed and made Jason look at the pictures you posted that night. We really need to start a blog that's just a compilation of all our parties.

Natalie said...

Nice work Rach, showing us all up... haha. It was an awesome party, you are such a great Mother! We love you guys.

Alicia Leppert said...

Oh. My. Gosh. You never cease to amaze me with your parties. Seriously, I tell people all the time that you and Amy could totally start a business doing this. You could name it Let's Party or something. But fo reals...freaking amazing. I've been meaning to text you and tell you that my kids had a BLAST. Well, Payson doesn't ever tell me anything about anything, but when I asked if they had fun he said "yes." Macy, however, told me every detail about being picked to help Kent and getting a 14 second time which was faster than Easton and even Payson (Payson scowled at that part) and that she totally went pro and got all these points to buy stuff. She even described each individual basketball hoop. So needless to say it left an imprint in her memory. They loved it. I'm so glad I had a part in adding to its awesomeness and even more glad that your picture didn't show any of the crumbs that were visible through the frosting. And Kent's comment was the best compliment.

P.S. You guys should TOTALLY start a birthday party blog.