Monday, February 28, 2011

Sum it up, because, I forgot to take pictures this Monday again..

So it appears that I am a photog Monday failure for 2 weeks in a row now.  I thought about it once today, and then I forgot about it again until about 5 minutes ago...I will definitely have to make up for it tomorrow because I love that I have been taking the kids pictures once a week.  I have this grand vision of a picture time line at the end of my wonderfully dedicated year.  And plus, it is an easy enough thing to turn into something all about me.  Pictures of how my kids changed can be all about what a great job I did.  Perfection.

I decided yesterday that cleaning up while Addy is awake is one of the most fruitless labors I can endure.  Look at me, sounding all deep.  That sounds so much better than saying "I hate cleaning up when Addy is awake because she ruins everything and it all goes to crap"

Speaking of Addison, today she accomplished 3 very important childhood milestones.  #1 she crawled out of her crib at nap time...#2 she opened a door for the first time, letting herself out of the room where she had just escaped her crib...Aubrey and I heard her upstairs, and looked at each other, Aubrey asked if her dad came home and let Addy out, I went upstairs and found her in a completely different room than where I had left her...#3 I finally managed to put her hair in 2 full pigtails...it look so funny to see her like that...

So all day I have been irritated.  On my way home from taking Aubrey to preschool the people on the radio were talking about some poll where people pick a movie quote that best describes their life.  "life is like a box of chocolates" totally won.  This is not the part that disturbs me, it was when they stupid girl pronounced 'carpe diem'  as 'carp dee-um'  And she said it TWICE!  It bugged the crap out of me!  All day!  She said it was the one that most depicted her life.  I wanted to call in and say "Fish much?  Loser!"

So I tried a new cupcake recipe today.  Vanilla almond cupcakes with salted caramel buttercream frosting.  It took me 3 times to get the caramel right.  She said to let the sugar get a little darker than I like to, and to stir with a wooden spoon.  By the third time I nixed that and used my favoite pamper chef whisk.  Much better.  The best compliment was Kent eating 2.  I loved them, everyone should try them.  I'm hoping to try these cheesy garlic bread swirls and this 44 clove garlic and chicken soup.  Ok, here's the thing, I know it might look like I'm all channeling my inner house wife, but the thing is, I feel like I have to choose between cleaning, blogging, or sitting on the couch watching tv.  I don't want to sit around all day, but I don't want to clean all day either.  Even when I crochet I am just sitting.  So I have been baking because it at least makes me feel like I am up doing something.  I mean, I don't sit and bake anyway.  And I love sharing what I make.  It is seriously the best part.  But I want people to gush over how good it is, or if it's not, I want to analyze why it's not so great.  Was it me?  The recipe?  Should I do something different next time?  So tonight when my parents stopped by, because I told them I would bring them a cupcake to the car, I got in the back seat and waited for their response.  I didn't get one, so of course I'm all "so what do you think???"  I do it to Kent all the time, he probably feels like some lab rat, being watched with every chew...Amy is one of the best to share with because she will tell me over and over how good my cookies are and how she hides the stuff I give her from the thing she loves most in the world, her family.  And I can always count on Lisa to finish what I cannot...or her kids will in the blink of an eye..

Whoo, if only blogging about food burnt the calories from eating it, then my peanutbutter cookies for breakfast and my 3 cupcakes this afternoon wouldn't even matter...I feel like I just wrote all of that stuff about baking in one long, winded breath...

I was talking to Lisa today, at my house, with Aubrey right between us on the couch, and I was saying how I wished Colton wanted a basketball birthday instead of football party, and Aubrey said "A football party would be off the hook"  What the what?  She used it in the perfect context, and of course repeatedly after Lisa and I said something to her about it....crazy cat...

I have had "Come On Ilene" stuck in my head all day...I love that song

Picture....

Think Spring....good, warm, outside thoughts...





Even the dirt looks pretty after this long, cold, winter...

Oh, and to my dear Aunt, what color/shade of green shall I make your bird???

2 comments:

Alicia Leppert said...

Do you know how pathetically lame I feel that you're still going strong on your year-long commitment and I crapper out on mine after one lousy month? Seriously, like the mayor of Loserville. Speaking of eating sugar, your cupcakes were amazing. It took everything in me not to eat the second one. Oh, and Macy completed ratted me out to Bill. The gig's up. He knows my shameful secret now. Hi, I'm Alicia and I eat sugar. So, looking at those pictures of Aubrey I thought of something that I'd never thought of before--how in the world did you end up with a blonde kid? Food for thought. And the red flower? Go-geous. Can you figure out a way to crochet one onto a headband for me? K thanks, bye.

Rachael said...

alicia, if you read this, please come over and I will make you a headband. it won't take long, and then you can pick out a few things. If you are out and about, and find some amazing 1/2 ribbon that you would love, snag it. I currently have a black hounds-tooth, white with black polka dots, and pink stripy. I also have black, white, or navy yarn. And a bunch of buttons. So come over already. I'm like 5 houses away.